Are you feeling a little heavier than usual? Tired? Sluggish?
Are your clothes fitting a little (or a lot) more snugly?
Are you in full hibernation mode – living in your track pants (or pyjamas?!)
Are you avoiding the mirror?
If the answer to any of these is “yes”, you’re not alone. Between colder weather, comfort food, and fewer hours of daylight, most Australians gain an extra layer of fat every winter. Due to COVID-19, this year’s winter weight gain has been even further exacerbated, no thanks to the “COVID Diet”.
Liposculpture may be the solution you seek to deal with both winter and COVID weight gain. Liposculpture isn’t right for everyone, and it’s important that you your BMI isn’t over 40. See here for more information about if liposculpture is right for you.
What is Winter Weight Gain?
The average Australian gains three kilograms of fat each winter. This is a result of a variety of factors:
- We “hibernate”- naturally consuming more calories in cold weather and staying in where it’s cosy.
- Our bodies respond to fewer hours of sunlight by producing melatonin, the “sleep” hormone, which also increases appetite.
- Metabolism increases during winter, resulting in the need to eat more food.
- Cold weather triggers a desire for comfort foods – including potatoes, pasta, puddings, and red wine.
- We exercise less due to diminished motivation and inclement weather.
- We get less Vitamin D from sunlight – and a lack of Vitamin D triggers weight gain.
- We drink less water than we do in summer.
- We eat fewer fresh fruits and vegetables than in summer.
COVID Weight Gain
As if normal winter weight gain is not enough, 2020 has delivered another blow in the form of COVID weight gain.
The CSIRO has undertaken a study of almost 4000
Australians and found that:
- 40% gained weight during lockdown
- 66% did less exercise during lockdown
- 36% reported a less healthy diet during lockdown
With more free time at home, greater access to the pantry and refrigerator, and more inclination for home comfort cooking, waistlines and overall weight have expanded across age groups. Add to this greater alcohol consumption, eating more processed foods, less incidental activity, and diminished mood due to lockdown fatigue and pandemic anxiety, it is a recipe for overindulging, weight gain, and an extra layer of stubborn fat to now shift.
This is a phenomenon experienced worldwide. Polls in the US reported an average of 30-50% of international respondents having recently gained weight.
The “COVID Diet” is characterised by eating more sugar, more carbohydrates, and drinking more alcohol. When you drink alcohol, your appetite increases – and you crave more of what you should not be eating.
Regaining control of your weight now is important – not only so you look and feel better when spring and summer arrive – but also to benefit your overall health and wellbeing.
Eating better, cutting back on alcohol, and exercising more are certainly important – but what about that stubborn layer of fat that is so hard to budge?
Liposculpture may be the answer.
What is Liposculpture?
Liposculpture is a minimally-invasive procedure which removes excess fatty tissue deposits from specific areas and improves the shape and appearance of the body. It is as much an art as a science, and, unlike liposuction, it is carried out under a local anaesthetic in a day-only clinic procedure.
Liposculpture achieves much more refined, superior results than traditional liposuction, and it is ideal for spot removing stubborn areas of fat which do not respond to exercise or diet.
Is Liposculpture Right for You?
Liposculpture is ideal for people who:
- Have pregnancy-related fat accumulation in specific areas
- Have genetically-triggered fat deposits
- Have previously undergone liposuction and seek fine-tuning of your shape
- Have reached their goal weight but have stubborn localised fat deposits
- Men who have developed excess breast tissue
- Who seek a streamlined appearance and their best possible shape
This procedure is right for you if you seek to eliminate stubborn fat deposits from a relatively small area, including:
- Outer or inner thighs
- “Muffin top”
- Male breast
Be Sculptured – Book an Online Consultation
Dr Meaghan Heckenberg is among Australia’s leading liposculpture experts, and she has the training, talent, and skill to achieve amazing results for you to reveal your very best body.