UNDERSTANDING THE TUMESCENT LIPOSCULPTURE TECHNIQUE
Tumescent liposculpture is an elegant solution that removes excess fat not responsive to exercise or diet. Liposculpture is very different to liposuction even though it was through this procedure that it was conceived.
Where it Came From
The 70s and 80s marked the creation of so much more than great (and sometimes not so great) music. The well-known procedure of liposuction was also established in the 70s and 80s. Originally called ‘suction assisted lipectomy,’ it was invented in Rome by Arpad and Giorgio Fisher. Further developments were made by Yves Illouz and later, Dr. Pierre Fournier made more changes that helped boost the procedure’s popularity. The craze caught on in the U.S, then Europe and eventually took the world by storm. More recently, the even further refined version of traditional liposuction, tumescent liposculpture was created by Dr. Jeffrey Klein.
Dr Klein’s version of this ever-popular procedure soared in popularity, partially because it involved local anaesthetic; not general aneasthetic, it resulted in less post procedure bruising and offered more refined results.
How it works
Although it may sound quite complicated, liposculpture is in fact a very straight forward procedure;
- Blood tests are taken prior to the procedure to help avoid complications
- Aspirin and anti-inflammatories are avoided to 2 weeks prior to procedure
- Antibacterial soap is used for 2 days in the lead up to the procedure
- Antibiotics are started on the eve of the procedure to help minimise the risk of infection
- The tissue being targeted is numbed with a local anaesthetic solution.
- Small tubes or cannulae are introduced into the target area.
- The tubes are gently moved through the tissues with suction removing the desired amount of excess fatty deposits.
Is it safe?
The short answer is, yes. Liposculpture generally results in far less complications than traditional liposuction. Infection is rare, bruising common but minimal and in most cases, recovery time is fast.
If you have tried diet and exercise and are now considering liposculpture, contact the team at Be Sculptured. We specialise in tumescent liposculture and are proud to be able to deliver pleasing results to our patients.
To book a consultation with Dr Meaghan Heckenberg, contact Be Sculptured at Crow’s Nest Cosmetic and Vein Clinic, today!
*Individual results vary