The thighs are one of the biggest “problem areas” for many women. Even for women who don’t conform to the stereotypical “pear” body shape, the thighs are often an area of cosmetic concern and a body part women feel they need to cover up, even in summer. The great news is that there are effective solutions for reshaping the thigh area, including thigh liposuction and liposculpture.
Why Do Women Gain Fat in the Thighs?
While men and women can both gain fat in the thighs, women are far more inclined to do so – and this is a direct result of female hormones.
Oestrogen is one of the main female hormones. Men and women both produce it naturally, but it plays a much larger role in the female body.
Oestrogen is produced by the ovaries, adrenal glands, and fat tissue. This hormone plays several roles in the body, including, in females, the development and maintenance of female characteristics and the female reproductive system. In both sexes, it contributes to bone health, cognitive health, cardiovascular function, and more.
Several factors impact oestrogen levels in the body, from puberty, pregnancy, and menopause to obesity, strenuous exercise, certain medications, diabetes, and several medical conditions.
Oestrogen also drives an increase in fat cells in the body for females. In most cases, this predominantly represents fat deposits in the buttock and thigh areas. Even when oestrogen levels fall at menopause, weight gain tends to continue due to slowing metabolism.
Bulky thighs can be inherited, and a female’s thighs can increase dramatically in size at puberty or later in adolescence. Furthermore, there is often a high accumulation of fat in the thighs after pregnancy.
Thigh Liposuction – How it Shapes the Legs
The thighs are among the most commonly treated areas with liposuction in women. Statistically, more women tend to be a larger size below their waist than above – making it challenging to feel comfortable and confident and to find clothing that fits well. Thigh liposuction is an effective way to address this imbalance. Thigh liposuction offers an effective solution for regaining balance in the legs and, by default, over the entire body.
Liposcution versus Liposculpture
Liposuction, which is a major surgical procedure performed in a hospital and under a general anaesthetic, is appropriate when there is a large amount of fat that needs to be removed.
Thigh liposculpture is a more targeted, minimally invasive procedure performed by an expert cosmetic liposculpture specialist in the clinic using a local anaesthetic on a walk-in/walk-out basis. It is suitable for women who have only mild to moderate areas of fat needing to be removed or reshaped. It is also the ideal way to fine-tune the final result following a thigh liposuction procedure. Liposculpture is not a weight loss tool. It is a body sculpting tool and most suited to those who are not overweight.
Outer Thigh versus Inner Thigh Treatments
The thighs are a large, three-dimensional area and, as such, they may be broken down into separate treatment areas to position and sculpt appropriately to achieve the very best results. Multiple areas may need to be treated in stages, depending on your body, the treatment areas, and your goals.
Treatment areas for thigh liposuction/liposculpture may include:
- Outer thighs – removal of the “saddlebags” at the upper thigh
- Extended outer thigh – from the mid-thigh to the knee, on the outer part of the thigh
- Anterior thighs – the front of the thigh from the groin to the knee
- Back of thigh – just below the buttocks, can help with better buttock definition
- Inner Thigh – inside the leg just below the groin; this area often rubs together when walking, causing irritation.
- Lower inner thigh – between mid-thigh and knee
- The inner and outer thighs may be treated together
- The anterior thigh, if necessary, may be treated at the same time as the inner/outer thigh or with the inner thigh and knee areas.
- The knees are often treated at the same time as the inner thighs
- The hips and waist may be treated at the same time as the outer thighs
Book a Consultation at Be Sculptured
Do you wish to:
- Improve the shape and appearance of your thighs?
- Rebalance your upper and lower body?
- Improve your comfort and eliminate chafing from your inner thighs rubbing together?
- Wear the clothing you love?
- Boost your confidence?
We comply with all current NSW Health COVID protocols.
Alternatively, book online here.